To add a homepage in WordPress, you need to create a new page and set it as the homepage. Follow these step-by-step instructions:
- Log in to your WordPress dashboard. (Access it by appending “/wp-admin” to your domain name, like “www.yourdomain.com/wp-admin“.)
- Once logged in, navigate to the “Pages” section in the left-hand menu and click on “Add New.”
- You’ll be taken to the page editor screen. Enter a title for your homepage (e.g., “Home” or “Welcome”).
- You need to select “HomePage Template” as shown in the screenshot below.
- Now click on the “Publish” button on the right side of the screen to save your page.
- After publishing, go to the “Settings” section in the left-hand menu and click on “Reading.”
- In the Reading Settings page, you’ll see an option titled “Your homepage displays.” Choose the “A static page” option.
- Next, you’ll see two dropdown menus: one for the homepage and another for the blog page. Select the page you just created from the dropdown menu for the “Homepage” option.
- If you have a separate page for your blog posts, select that page from the dropdown menu for the “Posts page” option. If you don’t have a dedicated blog page, you can leave this option as “– Select –” or choose any other page you prefer. For Reference:
- Click on the “Save Changes” button at the bottom of the page to save your settings.
- Visit your website’s front end or refresh it if it’s already open. You should now see your newly created page set as the homepage.
By following these steps, you can add a homepage to your WordPress website and set it as the default landing page for visitors. Keep in mind that the exact steps and labels might differ slightly depending on the WordPress theme you’re using, but the general process should remain the same.